Monday, April 12, 2010

Green Zone

Original post date:
Friday, March 30, 2007

I have been in the International Zone or Green Zone for about a month now. This is one of the most different tasks I have ever being told to do in the military. When I was first told that I wasn't going to deploy on a team heading for Kirkuk, Iraq and I was switched to the team going to IZ in Baghdad. I thought doing Law Enforcement in the "Heavily Fortified" Green Zone would be almost a waste. "They want me to do Law Enforcement in the middle of a war zone? This is going to be a crappy mission. I rather be doing base security than dealing with military members stealing from the BX," I thought.

One of my first days I experienced something I remember from my past deployment, a rocket attack. However, this one was different. I was driving down one of the main roads in the Green Zone, a 120mm rocket hit a building within 50 meters from where I was. If it wasn't for the building and a barrier wall between us, the rocket probably would have hit in front of me. It didn't phase me much since it wasn't my first time in Iraq and was accustomed to dealing with mortar or rocket attacks. I cordoned off the area, looked for any other wounded, and secured with the scene.

Other than the rocket, the first three weeks were pretty calm. I found out mostly what we deal with are escort violations, which are Iraqis that are in the Green Zone, that need a escort, and are not with them. I found out a lot of Iraqis are not supposed to be in IZ. I realized that I was not patrolling a secure base like Davis Monthan in Tucson AZ, but it is more like a city. That there are so many different groups, US military, coalition forces, Iraqi Government, civilian contractors (Lots of them), and squatters (Iraqis that aren't allow in the IZ). Also everyone is armed from the US military, US government contractors, Iraqis officals, to PSDs (Private Security Details). Some of the civilians here have guns illegally. My first week we had the biggest bust to date, We seized over 115 weapons from a illegal armory owned by Private Security firm.

I also meant our Iraqi Translators. I really can't say much because of the risk they take by helping US forces try to better their country. I have learned much from them since I have been here, especially one called "Lisa." She has taught me a lot about what is going on here. All the hardships she has dealt with in her life she still has time to smile and enjoy some parts of life. All the stories the translators have told me make me realize that I am extremely fortunate to have been born in the US. I realize that our country owes these Iraqis that have risked and lost so much for the mission over here.

I have never written a private journal before. I thought it might help me deal with some of the stuff I feel over here. This deployment will be with me for the rest of my life. I will try to write more about my first month later.

No comments:

Post a Comment